Fly Fishing Andros, Bahamas!
Fly-fishing is an addicting sport that has been growing in popularity for years. Of course, it began on rivers and streams, but somewhere in the 60's a small group of anglers began taking it to the warm salt flats of the Florida Keys. From there it was a small hop across the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas, where it was soon realized that the shear square mileage of flats was beyond imagination. Fly fishing for bonefish began on Andros 1948 when a young man named Cornel Torn opened the Bang Bang club. At that time guides were using spin rods for any kind of fishing, until 2 guides introduced fly-fishing to Andros, out performing anything used before on Andros. Guides began using bamboo fly rods and primitive reels to subdue bonefish. Flugger reels, Fenwick Rods and Bamboo rods. Seeing the fight these fish give today on modern tackle, its a wonder they ever landed any... but land them they did.
Among the famous guides at that time were Mrs. Willis Thompson, Johnny Lewis, Ralph Mackey, Heskai Mackey, Hegs Moxey, and many more who left a lasting legacy in this industry for Andros and the Bahamas.
Andros flats of the North Bight offer a variety of fishing experiences. Wade shin deep water for tailing bones, or search for big schools by skiff.
Big Bonefish Food: Gotcha ClousersIf it's a trophy you're after, you can pole the deep edges of the flats for cruising giants. Whatever your preference, bring plenty of flies including a handful of big, rangy "Gotcha" Clouser Minnows.
You matter to us! Charlie and Fatiha want you to have the most enjoyable stay possible.
We really do care about our guests and do our best to make them have an unforgettable trip, this is why we appreciate you informing us in advance if you are allergic to any type of food, or if you are under any kind of medication.
Fatiha and Charlie Neymour promise you their best care and attention for a safe and pleasurable adventure!
Recommended Fly Fishing tackle
BONEFISHING TACKLE :
- Rods: 7-9 Weight, Medium to Fast-Action
- Lines: 7-9 Weight Forward Floating Bonefish (to match rod weight)
- Leaders: 12 lb, 16 lb, 20 lb, --- 10-12 ft.
- Reels: Min. 150 yds. 20 lb. backing. Large Arbor prefered (size to match Rod).
BONEFISHING FLIES :
- Gotcha - size 4, 2, 1
- Clouser Minnow - size 4, 2, 1 (Tan white + Tan gold)
- Crazy Charlie - size 4, 2, 1 (Tan Pearl + Tan Pink)
- Pink Puff - size 4, 6
- Yarn Crab - size 2, 4
TARPON TACKLE :
- Rods: 10-12 Weight, Medium to Fast-Action
- Lines: 10-12 Weight Forward Floating (to match rod weight)
- Leaders: 16 lb - 20 lb, --- 10-12 ft.
- Bite Tippet: 60 lb - 100 lb Flourocarbon or Mono.
- Reels: Min. 150 yds. 30 lb. backing. Large Arbor prefered (size to match Rod).
TARPON FLIES :
- Cockroach - size 1/0, 2/0, 3/0
- Black Death - size 1/0, 2/0, 3/0
- Bunny - size 1/0, 2/0, 3/0
- Lefty Deceiver - 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 (Green & white, Blue & white and Red and white)
- Fishing hat
- Long Sleeved Shirt
- Lightweight Long Pants
- Rain Jacket
- Wading Shoes
- Sunglasses (amber/copper polarized)
- Insect Repellent
- Sun Block